pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

Old 11-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
cerberus729

My first question...

Now, I have been a (self-trained) student of mechanized infantry and tank tactics/operations for some time. Based on my experiences in paintball, most ops are uncoordinated and wasteful of manpower in frontal assaults down narrow alleys, without communications between units of any kind. And, the MLR for each unit is very small, usually less than a kilometer. The only guys I've ever seen with any ability to fight a coordinated attack on a defended position are either former or current military personnel.

Based on this, I ask if it is a viable option to develop some type of mechanized infantry paintball unit. It seems rather farfetched, but I think it's worth asking. Look at Poland, 1939; or Iraq, either time. R&D would take some time, but once developed, I seriously doubt that any foot infantry unit could resist for any amount of time. I theorize that high-speed flanking operations would be far faster and not bog down against resistance.

This is all based on my own experience, so pardon me if I am going over old ground.
cerberus729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus729 View Post
Now, I have been a (self-trained) student of mechanized infantry and tank tactics/operations for some time. Based on my experiences in paintball, most ops are uncoordinated and wasteful of manpower in frontal assaults down narrow alleys, without communications between units of any kind. And, the MLR for each unit is very small, usually less than a kilometer. The only guys I've ever seen with any ability to fight a coordinated attack on a defended position are either former or current military personnel.

Based on this, I ask if it is a viable option to develop some type of mechanized infantry paintball unit. It seems rather farfetched, but I think it's worth asking. Look at Poland, 1939; or Iraq, either time. R&D would take some time, but once developed, I seriously doubt that any foot infantry unit could resist for any amount of time. I theorize that high-speed flanking operations would be far faster and not bog down against resistance.

This is all based on my own experience, so pardon me if I am going over old ground.
Developing a Mechanized Infantry Unit for paintball is viable but not practical. The key to Mech Inf is the vehicle itself. I can only think of one paintball field that is really big enough to support what your thinking about BUT the problem comes from having a transport of that size restricted to a certain area, be it a trail or road. It wouldn't be like a real Bradly or Styker driving anywhere the TC wants.

Now if you wanted to create a Mech Inf Unit for paintball and build all the transports, recruit players, and go to large scenario games, more power to you but it is costly. Very costly.
Recreational Paintball Player with a Professional Attitude POG#854

Quote:
Originally Posted by llSmithll
i live in missouri....our dog sled teams are not that competitive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
I know this is a forum, but do you plan on doing any research yourself or are you planning on having all of us spoonfeed it to you?
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
cerberus729

Cool Response

OK. I have been doing my own research, and have come across what I think is the perfect beginning vehicle to use. It is well-known, simple in construction, has a well-recorded combat history, and can carry decent numbers of men across almost any terrain: the M113A3 Gavin. It is essentially an armored box on caterpillar treads with a weapon mounted on its roof and a large rear-exit door.

How do you like them apples?

Oh, yeah. The M113A3 has a 270hp engine. I would bet that a paintball version would need maybe three-eighths of that, at a stretch. The fastest clocked speed for a Gavin is 87.78 miles per hour, but it weighs in at 10.5 metric tons. It has a two-foot vertical obstacle capability, can cross a five-and-a-half foot trench, and has been converted into over a dozen variants (Including an indirect mobile fire support variant carrying a mortar). It can be dropped out of almost any air-transport plane in US military stock, can be made fully amphibious within moments, and can carry eleven fully-armed men while doing it all.

And, there is a major contingent of US Army and USMC personnel who want the Stryker replaced by the Gavin to boot. One guy wrote a 183-page memo on it and distributed it to a dozen high-raking colonels and generals. The thirty-five vehicle compliment to a single company in the 82nd airborne (right now filled by the ubiquitous HMMWV, which is not a combat vehicle like people make it out to be), if replaced by Gavins, could move an entire battalion at fifty miles an hour and resist most types of enemy fire along the way, keeping the passengers safe, for the most part.

I think that is enough information to warrant at least a spirited try. Anyway, I'm going to be enlisting into the US Army in a few months (7), as a 19D (look it up). Then I am going to go on to SF for a few years. So, talk it out till I get back, maybe I'll start something later.
cerberus729 is offline   Reply With Quote