pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #11441
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
Don't judge him too harshly, you don't know what he was going thru.
Don't know what he was going through, but you know what his son will go through now. Which is the sad part.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #11442
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

So I can't decide if I want to start putting together a turbo kit for my R18 or keep saving for a K20 swap. Obviously the K20 has been built all the way up to 1000hp and the R18 isn't likely to break 500, probably maxes out around 350 without major internal changes. But seeing as how this is a daily driver and I don't want to give up all my mileage, I probably won't be going past 300hp. With how light the civic is, 200-250 should keep up with most higher end production cars out there.

I'm leaning towards the turbo, because I think it would be a fun project and I could build a basic kit for cheaper than a K20. Probably start off running 8-10psi, should get about 225whp. Only problem is that while I'm sure I could do the installation myself, I would need a reliable shop to help with tuning, and I don't even trust local places for an oil change.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #11443
Ironman289
Paintball......

You can buy a tuning program to run on your laptop and use it while you have someone drive. Its not as hard as it seems. You'll need one of these too, depending on the program you get.
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/zenstor...oducts_id=1860

Or you could go here:
http://www.agileauto.com

Last edited by Ironman289 : 09-22-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #11444
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

I'm going to be buying FlashPro if I do this, mostly looking for a shop for dyno access. I'll look into the place you linked.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #11445
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Send a message via AIM to banderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
Don't judge him too harshly, you don't know what he was going thru.
Sorry Evil, but I don't really buy that. Suicide is the cowards way out. I guess I don't really care what he was going through, there is always a better way to deal with it than kill yourself. Just think how his family and friends feel now. If he has gone and gotten professional help, or disappeared into the African jungle for 3 years people would be saying "Good for him", but now they just feel like crap.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #11446
A-5best
Virtů

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
So I can't decide if I want to start putting together a turbo kit for my R18 or keep saving for a K20 swap. Obviously the K20 has been built all the way up to 1000hp and the R18 isn't likely to break 500, probably maxes out around 350 without major internal changes. But seeing as how this is a daily driver and I don't want to give up all my mileage, I probably won't be going past 300hp. With how light the civic is, 200-250 should keep up with most higher end production cars out there.

I'm leaning towards the turbo, because I think it would be a fun project and I could build a basic kit for cheaper than a K20. Probably start off running 8-10psi, should get about 225whp. Only problem is that while I'm sure I could do the installation myself, I would need a reliable shop to help with tuning, and I don't even trust local places for an oil change.
Dont bother with the K20, just turbo it. I mean really, who wants a 500 whp FWD car? If its your daily just build a good, reliable kit and get a good semi conservative tune. If you're going to push big numbers might as well do it in a better platform. Im not hating on the civic, I just dont think its the platform to be doing huge builds on. Boost it a bit and have some fun IMHO.

Im trying to sell my stock 08 civic EX. Any good places I should go to sell it? I know autotrader and ebay and such but I mean more like a forum or something.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself

Last edited by A-5best : 09-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #11447
f2f4

Awesome K20 vid I found:

◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                 ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸
                  ʳʷ   ᵖˡᵃʸ  ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ  ˢᵗᵒᵖ   ᶠᶠ
f2f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #11448
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5best View Post
I mean really, who wants a 500 whp FWD car?
I have no clue. ~140hp and 130ft/lbs and I can still break performance street tires free on flat ground from 1st to 2nd and through just about any turn if I put the pedal down. Feel like 500whp on a FWD would be like driving on gravel.

The times an extra 70-90hp would help would be at highway speed and going up hills when the car is loaded and the a/c is on. It's suprising how much difference 2 extra passengers and a/c can make accelerating up a hill in a civic.

And I'm not sure of any forums with a good market for Civics. I would avoid places like Carmax, they manage to pay out the lowest prices and bring in the highest prices I've ever seen. The Honda dealer gave us twice the trade in value on my old Hyundai that Carmax offered, and a brand new '06 Civic was only $2000 more than a '03 from Carmax with 80k on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #11449
Ironman289
Paintball......

Quote:
I'm going to be buying FlashPro if I do this, mostly looking for a shop for dyno access. I'll look into the place you linked.
They have a few Dyno setups and I've heard AAP does great job on import-tuners, I haven't used them myself as I'm more of an old-school muscle car type, I am debating on supercharging my '67 'stang but I would kill to get a "true" import Nissan Skyline and have them super tune it.

Last edited by Ironman289 : 09-23-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #11450
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Send a message via AIM to banderson
Guess what!!! I am 23 y/o as of 33 minutes ago!!!!

Edit:
Yeah I don't really care either.

Last edited by banderson : 09-23-2010 at 11:38 PM.
banderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #11451
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson View Post
Just think how his family and friends feel now. If he has gone and gotten professional help, or disappeared into the African jungle for 3 years people would be saying "Good for him", but now they just feel like crap.
Marines have the highest suicide rate of any service. If you recall, I've lost two to suicide this year. So I know how his family and friends feel.

p.s. Happy birfday.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #11452
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman289 View Post
I am debating on supercharging my '67 'stang
Every time someone goes FI on a classic Mustang, Henry Ford rolls over in his grave. If it's a V8 I wouldn't bother. If it's an I6 (or V, think its I though) then maybe. Not sure how much a V8 swap would cost for one of those.

I like a lot of classic cars, and especially like working on them since you have 5x the space under the hood to work with compared to newer cars with 5 miles worth of wiring packed in there. But I would never want a classic as a daily driver. Gas mileage, handling and the fact that they all seem to smell like gasoline just wouldn't be fun to me.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #11453
jitters93
OT Overseer

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡

hai Gov
Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #11454
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Decided I'm going to go ahead and buy FlashPro and some injectors next week, that should give me somethin to play around with until I can get a turbo kit put together. All the full kits out there for the R18 are either way overpriced or consist of trash parts that would probably fail after a few thousand miles. Plus I already have some spare pipe and couplers from when I built my intake and can probably thieve some oil lines from a friend, so I won't need all that anyways.

Fitting everything somewhere inside there is going to be a chore. Probably have to disassemble the entire front end to get the intercooler and piping in place. Maybe Santa will bring me some new tools this Christmas
Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #11455
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Send a message via AIM to spydyrodeo Send a message via Yahoo to spydyrodeo
Cool front coming. Gonna rain tonight, should be pretty chilly when I wake up tomorrow and the high won't get much over 80 all week, and the low won't get much below 60. God I can't wait... think I might ride to school everyday.

FAMILY, FAITH, FLAG, AND FIREARMS...THESE I'D DIE FOR.
XBL gamertag: MT tman186.
PSN: whitefang5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMongoose View Post
I have a 6th grade education but have alot of common sense.
spydyrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #11456
Ironman289
Paintball......

Quote:
Every time someone goes FI on a classic Mustang, Henry Ford rolls over in his grave. If it's a V8 I wouldn't bother. If it's an I6 (or V, think its I though) then maybe. Not sure how much a V8 swap would cost for one of those.

I like a lot of classic cars, and especially like working on them since you have 5x the space under the hood to work with compared to newer cars with 5 miles worth of wiring packed in there. But I would never want a classic as a daily driver. Gas mileage, handling and the fact that they all seem to smell like gasoline just wouldn't be fun to me.

I know BUT with the current setup (289 v8 shelby with holley 4 barrel) its not very eco-friendly. With the setup I have planned I can run the 1/4 in the low 10s and still get in the mid 20s for mpg and pass the smog checker set for a 2009 mustang, so its a win/win
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #11457
FertileTurtle
mokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydyrodeo View Post
the high won't get much over 80 all week, and the low won't get much below 60.
i thought you were complaining about this for a second. supposed to be 70-75 and sunny allllll week here. absolutely love it.
FertileTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #11458
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman289 View Post
I know BUT with the current setup (289 v8 shelby with holley 4 barrel) its not very eco-friendly. With the setup I have planned I can run the 1/4 in the low 10s and still get in the mid 20s for mpg and pass the smog checker set for a 2009 mustang, so its a win/win
Classic cars have legally earned the right to put holes in the ozone in most places. Considering the lack of production waste and pollution of not replacing it every 3 years it seems fair. And any V8 without active fuel management is gonna suck up gas. Again, I wouldn't want to drive one everyday. But the way I see it, you shouldn't need boost on 4.7L of displacement to make power. Ruins the classic feel.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #11459
Ironman289
Paintball......

Quote:
Classic cars have legally earned the right to put holes in the ozone in most places. Considering the lack of production waste and pollution of not replacing it every 3 years it seems fair. And any V8 without active fuel management is gonna suck up gas. Again, I wouldn't want to drive one everyday. But the way I see it, you shouldn't need boost on 4.7L of displacement to make power. Ruins the classic feel.
I will only put the super-charger on it if it is not quick enough in the 1/4 after adding MPFI and a new 6 speed. It will not have the current 4.7 it will get a new FR 347ci Z rated @ 450hp. With the charger on it I was told I could hit 600hp with around 8-9 pounds of boost and it would be very street-able.

Last edited by Ironman289 : 09-27-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #11460
jitters93
OT Overseer

Lulz.

The pbphotography website was just hacked by arabhackerz

Edit: Its been fixed.. but still, what a random site to target

Last edited by jitters93 : 09-27-2010 at 09:30 PM.
jitters93 is offline   Reply With Quote