pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic

Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #12221
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Send a message via AIM to spydyrodeo Send a message via Yahoo to spydyrodeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
This week is mostly rainy, so my motorcycle jealousy is at a minumum right now. Good lookin bike though.
It's ok, skinny people like you don't pilot vulcan 2000 classics anyways.

Evil, what an ugly hardley davichit.

What kind of motor is in it? I can't see the heads.

FAMILY, FAITH, FLAG, AND FIREARMS...THESE I'D DIE FOR.
XBL gamertag: MT tman186.
PSN: whitefang5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMongoose View Post
I have a 6th grade education but have alot of common sense.
spydyrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #12222
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Send a message via AIM to 4THDEGREE
Nice rides all the way up the page. one will be better with seats and everything is better with flames.
The Old Dawgs Member #1
06 Empire Timmy, YES, I own an Onyx SE! Newest addition...egads I now own an Angel A1
NAnarchy OT - We Are Cooler Than YouN
Team No Regrets
-no drama, no BS, no regrets....play to be respected!
Pro Paintball Weekly
www.compulsivepaintball.com
4THDEGREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #12223
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4THDEGREE View Post
Nice rides all the way up the page. one will be better with seats and everything is better with flames.

It's way sweeter in person, the flames really pop. And don't hold your breath, that's all the seats that bike is going to get, nobody rides ***** on my scoot.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #12224
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #12225
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
One of my friends got a Ninja this month. Guy across the street actually got an R6 this week. I saw him trying to ride it. He stalled repeatedly trying to get going. It might not be the easiest bike to learn on, but how hard is it to stall one of those things? I feel like far higher power/weight ratio, wet clutch and hand controls would take some effort to kill compared to learning to drive a manual car.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #12226
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
As with anything there's a learning curve, and the friction zone on those bikes can be quite big. Motorcycles are an interesting beast if you think about it, in addition to your eyes, you use both hands and both feet. It takes a awhile to coordinate them all together. I used to have a hell of a time downshifting and braking to a stop at the same time. I also sucked at left turns from a stop for some reason.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #12227
A-5best
Virtů

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
Quote:
One of my friends got a Ninja this month. Guy across the street actually got an R6 this week. I saw him trying to ride it. He stalled repeatedly trying to get going. It might not be the easiest bike to learn on, but how hard is it to stall one of those things? I feel like far higher power/weight ratio, wet clutch and hand controls would take some effort to kill compared to learning to drive a manual car.
I get the impression theyre easier to drive than a manual geo metro, thats for sure.

For some reason nearly every experienced motorcyclist manages to stall our FSAE car, so I assume they are used to a pretty easy start off.

Sweet decision pulling everything out. I want to, but don't have the balls. Maybe once Im a professional and have a DD...and start tracking a far bit.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself

Last edited by A-5best : 04-21-2011 at 07:58 AM.
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #12228
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
R6's are like YZ85's or CR85's, or any 80+cc 2 stroke without a power valve. They have almost no low end. They're hard to get going and need quite a bit of RPM's to get everything turning.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #12229
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
As with anything there's a learning curve, and the friction zone on those bikes can be quite big. Motorcycles are an interesting beast if you think about it, in addition to your eyes, you use both hands and both feet. It takes a awhile to coordinate them all together. I used to have a hell of a time downshifting and braking to a stop at the same time. I also sucked at left turns from a stop for some reason.
Yeah, but I mean you use both hands and both feet in a manual car. The hands not so precisely, but the feet more so. And in general people have more dexterity in their hands than feet. I'm able to smoothly operate a gear lever, steering wheel and all 3 pedals simultaneously, downshifting and braking when entering a turn. Took a little while to learn, but I can't imagine a bike being any more difficult. Just maybe a little more potential for disaster if you mess up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5best View Post
Sweet decision pulling everything out. I want to, but don't have the balls. Maybe once Im a professional and have a DD...and start tracking a far bit.
You have to make sure you disconnect the battery before removing anything connected to the SRS system, and if you reconnect the battery before reconnecting SRS wiring (front seat airbags, pretentioners etc) you will get an SRS fault and light that will stay on until it is reset. Carpeting and other various clips like to break when you remove them, so it's worth having some extras. Other than that it's all pretty quick and simple, most of the interior panels are snap on/snap off. Wouldn't take more than an hour to get everything back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydyrodeo View Post
R6's are like YZ85's or CR85's, or any 80+cc 2 stroke without a power valve. They have almost no low end. They're hard to get going and need quite a bit of RPM's to get everything turning.
It looked like he was flaring the throttle quite a bit, then it just died when he would let the clutch out, just a little rock forward. It was as if he left the parking brake on. I don't have a great ear for bike rpm, but if I were to guess I would say he was putting it in the 3000-4000 range. Not sure how high it should be to get rolling, I know they have stupid high redlines.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #12230
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

I'm curious why you brake when you downshift. let the engine brake for you.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #12231
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
I think he wanted to impress you with his ability to digitally manipulate multiple objects at once.
I like where this is going.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #12232
JasonA
Mental Reg date: 9-24-02

Send a message via AIM to JasonA
I think he wanted to impress you with his ability to digitally manipulate multiple objects at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
Remeber it's all fun and games untill someone looses a nut.
JasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #12233
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
I don't all the time, mostly for off-ramps or before a fast turn. Engine braking alone would take too long to slow you down enough, but you want to be in lower gear to accelerate out of the turn. Brake, clutch in, gear down, tap throttle with right heel, clutch up, off brake and go. Once you get used to it and can rev match well enough on the shift, it all becomes one smooth motion. No getting off the brake to shift and no jerk when you shift.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #12234
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

I dump my honda into second gear all the time to slow down in a hurry, you just have to have good awareness of your clutch, and a good clutch. Try it some time, it's fun, and you can slingshot around turns.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #12235
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

If I dumped my Honda from 6th into 2nd gear at 50mph, I would probably injure myself. Means going from around 2000rpm to 8000rpm, so the gearbox doesn't care for it either. 6th-4th-2nd while lightly braking is much more comfortable.

When it comes to driving in the mountains on the other hand, I do rely almost exclusively on engine braking. Rarely will you see my brake lights come on, even when the guy in front of me rides his brakes all the way down a slope. 11:1 compression goes a long way in keeping a lightweight car from running away down a hill, keeps my brakes cool in case I really need them.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #12236
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Send a message via AIM to 4THDEGREE
Quote:
Cause brake lining is cheaper than transmissions and engines....
The Old Dawgs Member #1
06 Empire Timmy, YES, I own an Onyx SE! Newest addition...egads I now own an Angel A1
NAnarchy OT - We Are Cooler Than YouN
Team No Regrets
-no drama, no BS, no regrets....play to be respected!
Pro Paintball Weekly
www.compulsivepaintball.com
4THDEGREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #12237
A-5best
Virtů

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
Quote:
I don't all the time, mostly for off-ramps or before a fast turn. Engine braking alone would take too long to slow you down enough, but you want to be in lower gear to accelerate out of the turn. Brake, clutch in, gear down, tap throttle with right heel, clutch up, off brake and go. Once you get used to it and can rev match well enough on the shift, it all becomes one smooth motion. No getting off the brake to shift and no jerk when you shift.
Im pretty sure every time you hit a perfect heel-toe an angel gets its wings.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #12238
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4THDEGREE View Post
Cause brake lining is cheaper than transmissions and engines....
It is definately a lot cheaper to replace brake pads than a clutch, synchronizers or engine internals. But if you don't slip the clutch, rev match well to save the synchros and don't overrev it on downshifts, no harm done.

Plus brakes heat up a ton if you ride them down a hill or to a stop from high speed, and when they get really hot their coefficient of friction is greatly reduced. Especially drum brakes. And if you use cheap brake fluid it can start to boil, creating pockets of compressible gas in the lines that makes the pedal feel soft and reduces the hydraulic pressure on the brakes as well. Not an issue in the city, but very problematic in the mountains or on a track. This is where engine braking becomes very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5best View Post
Im pretty sure every time you hit a perfect heel-toe an angel gets its wings.
It becomes second nature after a while, you forget you are doing it. Just like shifting a manual in general. Although the throttle being hinged at the bottom rather than top and offset pretty far back from the brake makes it a little more challenging to learn in new Civics. Depending on what shoes I'm wearing, I might heel-toe, toe-heel or just use the sides of my foot.

If you wear shoes with soft rubber soles, you get some interesting wear around the edges.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #12239
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

So I needed a full face helmet for the quad and an SA2000/M2000+ rated helmet for the track. Ideally I would have a motocross helmet and open face pyrotect, but I didn't want to spend that much money. Ended up with a Scorpion full face motorcycle helmet. No fire rating like the pyrotect since the chances of being trapped inside a burning motorcycle are fairly slim, but the impact rating is the same. And now I'm back to fiending for a motorcycle.

I'll say one thing though. I normally ride the quad without a helmet, which you would think is a bad idea. But when you have a comfy bucket over your head, you come up with so many more bad ideas. It's like the little voices trying to get you killed just echo in your ear. Already managed to scratch the hell out of my shield and I have an enormous bruise on my leg.

Helmets not as safe as you were led to believe.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #12240
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Scorpion helmets are a little over priced IMHO, but they look pretty sweet.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan