pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > First Endeavor

Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
timisan

how does quest stand up to newer markers

hey everyone i just got a first endeavor quest and i was wondering how this compares to the newer dye, planet eclipse, and others? can this gun hold its own on the field or do i need to keep my autococker as backup( i only play rec. and scenario) ? is there any major issues i need to be aware of ?
timisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Uziel Gal
Legend

If you were to do a direct comparison between a Quest and a newer Planet/Dye/What-have-you marker, the Quest will appear bulkier than most, and will be a bit heavier, though they aren't particularly heavy markers.

The markers maximum rate of fire will also be down - like earlier DMs/PMs, thay are limited by the solenoid to a maximum of 23bps. In this day and age of 30+ bps markers, that may seem a disadvantage, but only if you are making youtube videos..... In the real world, you'll be ramping 13 or 15bps, or firing in true semi, and no-one can genuinely shoot 23bps in bounce free semi auto.

So, in the real world, playing paintball, you shouldn't be at any disadvantage as far as firepower is concerned. It's plenty fast for any sensible use.

Quests are perhaps not quite as smooth as the best of the spool valve markers, but are smoother than the average ram and poppet marker. What they give up to the smoothest spool valves, they make up for by being more efficient than most.

They are also simpler than the majority of other spool valves, with only two part in the bolt kit the pin (bolt guide) and the bolt itself. With less parts come less o-rings. Most leaks and other bolt related problems can be fixed with a change of o-rings and a smear of Hater Sauce.

You get a stock, fully adjustable, multi mode board, and one of the best stock triggers going - very smooth, comfortable and responsive.

Are there downsides? Yes.

Right now, getting any kind of warranty support direct from FEP is difficult. Customer service used to be exceptional, but is distinctly patchy right now. The company is said to be concentrating on new developments right now, and seldom answer the phone or respond to e-mails.

As far as problems with the marker are concerned, the stock wiring is rather flimsy, and wires can break without warning. You can get aftermarket wiring harnesses for around $10-$15, and I would strongly suggest switching to an aftermarket one soon as possible, and maybe carrying a spare.

Some people have also had issues with one of the stock boards used by the Quest (the marker has used a number of different boards during it's lifetime) - WAS boards have good reputations in most markers, but for some reason, the Quest version has a tendency to short out or just generally "play up" in one way or another. If you get a good one, it'll be fine, and some never cause any problems; others switch off for no reason, cause eye problems, burn out, and any number of other things. If you have a board other than a WAS board, then you should be fine.

There have been issues in the past of people breaking their bolts, but this is generally considered to be down to a faulty batch of bolts (should be long gone) or people having their LPR pressures set too high.

On the whole, other than switching out the stock wires, I have been very pleased with my Quest.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Got to go home by 1am, the bottle wins the battle again.
Husker Du - "First of the last calls"
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Sniper 15

ok mine has shot 34 bps goldwaved and over a chrono... its not the solenoid, its the board, mine has the lucky spitfire board and keeps up with 99% of every other gun out there... and they get smoother the more you shoot them...
Sniper 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Uziel Gal
Legend

I have spoken to a fair number of Quest owners, who have owned Quests with a variety of different boards - WAS, Lucky ACE, Lucky Spitfire, Inoviq (with a number of different chips installed), APE, Virtue - and none of them have been able to break 24bps, let alone achieve 34bps. My own APE board can support 40 cycles per second, but my marker itself quite simply won't cycle that fast. For that matter, very few loaders can reliably feed balls in to your marker that fast.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Got to go home by 1am, the bottle wins the battle again.
Husker Du - "First of the last calls"
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 07-28-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
WillyW0nka
Registered Sex Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper 15 View Post
ok mine has shot 34 bps goldwaved and over a chrono... its not the solenoid, its the board, mine has the lucky spitfire board and keeps up with 99% of every other gun out there... and they get smoother the more you shoot them...
Since it was gold waved I'm assuming you have a video or a copy of the gold wave?
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Thtsk8guy
iPaint

Send a message via AIM to Thtsk8guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
Since it was gold waved I'm assuming you have a video or a copy of the gold wave?
i would like to see that too!

www.myspace.com/teamchaos_paintball

if ur under 18 and pay for ur own gear put this in ur sig

Put this in your sig if your an Irish American Baller
Thtsk8guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
ahfrederick
PB&J Lover! =P

Well from my experience, the FEP Quest has NO problems standing up to ANY of the TOP markers out today. I have played with the DYE DM6/7/8/9, PE EGO 06/07/08/09 and the SL8R, MacDev Droid (07 I believe), Angel 05 & 06 Speed, Dark G7 FLY, A4 FLY, A1 & A1 FLY and I've had the opportunity to shoot the DLX Luxe. And they are all good guns, well except for the 08 & 09 EGOs (Sorry EGO fans), OMG those are the LOUDEST guns I have ever shot, hands down! The ONLY EGO I would ever consider investing in would be 06.

The Quest is still one of the lightest, by far the most air effecient and of course accurate! The things I love about the Quest is the stock barrel (quite possibly the best on the market, IMO), the stock trigger (other than the eBlade trigger) quite possibly the best IMO, and the fact that it only takes 85psi (sometimes a little lower) to cycle the bolt (can we say EFFECIENT?!?)

I am only sadden by the fact that it took me THIS long to find out about FEP and it's wonderful Quest. But now that I own one, she not going ANYWHERE anytime soon (Just like my STO Karnivor!)
Primary: '06 FEP Quest | 14" 007 Barrel (.687)| Halo B w/v35 & Rip Drive (SOLD) | Black/White DYE Rotor (Coming Soon) | Crossfire 68/4500 HPA | Secondary: '05 WGP STO Karnivor Autococker | 14" Black Freak Back/Blue AA Front | Project: 2003 WGP Black Magic Minicocker | Previous Marker: Virtued SP Ion |
ahfrederick is offline   Reply With Quote