pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > SP-1

View Poll Results: sp1 or sp8
sp1 16 84.21%
sp2 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
polaris_xc

Sp1 or Sp8

What is a better gun?? Sorry it is suppose to say sp1 and sp8 not sp2!!!

Last edited by polaris_xc : 03-11-2009 at 01:49 PM.
polaris_xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Six_Shooter

Depends on what your criteria for "better" would be.

SP-1 is a great starter electro, with many upgrades available if you want.

The SP-8 is more of a true MilSim marker IMO, it's basically an ION in a Milsim body, so it works well out of the box.
Six_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
fernando8877

i would go with the sp1. it's cheaper, looks better, lighter and almost as many upgrades as the sp8. the sp8 is big and bulky.
fernando8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
333anubis666

I would go with the Sp-8, I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I like it over the Sp-8 for the reason that its bigger and heavier(never really being comfortable with ultra light tourny markers)and were and who I play with marker hits don't count. I find I can keep the larger sp-8 more stable holding it like a rifle. The sp-1 I've found that i have to hold it more like any other paint ball marker. I being a strictly mil sim play, find this really un-comfortable. The sp-1 with as stock does feel more like am m4 carbine with a forward vertical grip. Both markers have there advantages. The Sp-1 is more towards the normal set up of say a tippmen 98 custom in terms of how its held etc. It also has lots of rails for lights, red dot sights and the like. The Sp-8 come out of the box set up essentially like rifle(looks almost exactly like the XM-8 modular assault rifle) minus the stock. It has the weight and feel of a rifle. It is has less rails then the sp-1 (a single rail right behind the carrying bar) though you can add one under the barrel grip and ether side of it(I think). It is super accurate and quiet though. Both markers are extremely durable, what may seem like plastic shell on them is actually a plastic coating over an aluminum body. The only thing that I feel that ether needs is a stock. I do feel the Sp-8 is more accurate but that only comes into play in mil sim or woodsball games and even then only if your a sniper.

In the end it boils down to personal preference. The sp-1 is set up as highly and easily modified with lots of extra rails stock and for a lot of newer players the familiar feel of the 98 custom(never like that one myself). The Sp-8 comes out of the box more set up like a mil sim marker, looking like a actual rifle, and having the feeling of a rifle and not a paintball marker. So it depends on what you personally prefer. Do you like the feel and weight of a rifle or the light and loose hold of a paintball marker. I personally preffer the sp-8 having used both with no modification to ether. I feel its movement are smoother and not as jerky. I think the Sp-1 would make an really good speedball marker its small with a narrow profile. Sp-8 is more of a sniper being able to stay steady and hit small targets at long range with vary few shots.

I urge you to at least hold both markers before you buy. In the end it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks its what you feel works for YOU. I picked up the Sp-8 and fell in love with it. My buddy thinks its a oversized beast and thinks its completely unwieldy. He also uses about 3 times as much paint as I do and I avoid speedball like the plague. So find a place that carries both markers and see if you can take a few shots with them(some places will let you) and see what you like.

P.S. the sp-8 had complicated internals and you have to be careful when cleaning and oiling!!!!
333anubis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
di$TOrTed
t3h p\/\/nz0r

Send a message via AIM to di$TOrTed
If you use CO2 = SP1

If you use HPA = SP8

My feedback

I'm getting the NDS tech site going again. ndspb.proboards.com PM me if you would like to help make tech tutorials to help out the paintball community.
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
brian dyas

Hands down, the sp-1. I play alot of micro-terrain, as well as going bush. There's a huge advantage to a small, light marker when going through the thorns, or water
brian dyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
mvianna

I agree with Anubis.
The point is personal preference. I decided to change after holding a friend's SP8. But in the end I chose the SP1.
My criteria was simple: lighter, shorter, easier to mantain, cheaper and CO2 friendly.
But if you like rifle style markers, the SP-8 is a good choice.
mvianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
ems
Body bagged

also for the money you can add a stock to sp1 for 40-60$ that beats the 100-200$ more for the sp8 but you got to realise if that is what the guy wants cause it is small and quite and if you want to be accurate get an new barrel. also the sp8 is an ion in an rifle body
ems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
FALCONSEYE

Question

how about the pros/cons between sp-1/sp-8 and bt tm-7/tm-15?

FuzzySiberians
FALCONSEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
iliveforthis99
Maher

Considering the TM7 and TM15 are both built around the Mini, the only thing the SP1/8 have over them is their cheaper price.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
FALCONSEYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveforthis99 View Post
Considering the TM7 and TM15 are both built around the Mini, the only thing the SP1/8 have over them is their cheaper price.
So, what's the good thing about not having an external hose? I am not sure on how to justify the price difference. Thanks

FuzzySiberians
FALCONSEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
iliveforthis99
Maher

There are no advantages other then you'll never have to replace a hose. And not having a macro or steel braid line going from the ASA to the reg isn't a big deal but it's also something that isn't in the way and IMO it's more comfortable. One way to justify the price difference is that with the TM7/15 you're getting a gun that is much better then an Ion or SP1 right out of the box. Hell the the TM15 is supposed to even be letting you access to the bolt without taking the whole body apart like the SP8. Honestly though, i'd just with getting a regular Mini (or G3) over the mil-sim versions. You'll be getting the same gun but for considerably less. The M8, 416, and MP7 are some of my favorite guns in the real world, however for paintball getting something that looks like a real world gun usually means paying more for looks that you don't need when a black or other dark color base gun would do just fine and save you money. Personally, if someone wants mil-sil then paintball isn't the game they should be looking into unless money is not an issue.