pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 10-08-2003, 06:56 AM   #21
bgredjeep

And for the A-5 guys

I've posted this on a few other sites but I'll add it here as well. Here is how I setup my trigger.

1 - lighter trigger) I started by replacing the springs in the trigger. The front spring I used is a sping from a pilot G-2 pen, cut to lighten further. The rear spring is from a Bic disposable pencil. This lightened up the pull and the sear but I wanted it tighter as well.

2 - shorten the pre-fire pull) I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the trigger, and installed a 3mm grub screw to minimize the pull needed to actuate the trigger. This is a touchy opperation that will require some trial and error to get the screw adjusted just right. There is only a little change here but it helps IMO. *note* This will require some material to be shaved from the rear of the trigger to keep the safety available. (See pics)

3 - trigger stop) I used a driveshaft set screw from an old T-Maxx r/c truck I had parts from. I installed the screw in the front of the trigger through the center of the trigger spring. This is adjusted so that the trigger stops as soon as the gun fires instead on allowing extra travel after firing (as with stock). The screw needed to be trimmed about 1mm (2 mins w/ the dremel) and it is a great fit. This setup allows for quick adjustments to the trigger stop with an allen wrench.

4 - shorten sear travel) This step only requires a small drinking straw. I used a Caprisun straw in installed it over the pin that the sear rests on. This reduces the travel required for the sear to drop and release the bolt. It also let me tighten the pull on the trigger (from step 2) further.

This picture shows the changes from steps 2 (arrow A) and 3 (the screw on the right)

Here is the completed trigger (less step 4). Arrows B and D are from step 2. Arrow C shows where the drinking straw should be installed.

Here is the trigger group back in the grip. Again, this was before step 4. *NOTE* The rear grub screw needs to be filed down to flush. Otherwise it will contact the bolt and not always allow the trigger to set properly.

And the installed straw (step 4). Picture by Rambino from a5ownersgroup.com.

As stated earlier in this thread make sure you test all the changes with air in the gun. Mine worked great at the house but at the field I had trouble and needed some extra adjustments. Its all set now.

I'm also going to polish the rear of the sear where it contacts the bolt for smoother release.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #22
bgredjeep

I polished the sear tonight and it definatly takes any gritty feel out of the trigger pull.

I used a polishing set that I have for my dremel. First I lightly smoothed the end and top of the sear where the hammer rests and slides across using a polishing stone bit. Once the small pits were removed and the top edge slightly rounded I used Mothers polish and a regular polishing bit. I cleaned the surface and applied a light coat of grease to both the polished surfaces, as well as the other contact points on the sear.

Here is a pic. Its a little hard to tell since this is after I applied the grease. The outlined area is what I polished. It was shining before I greased it.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #23
Tippy98Custom
2k3 WGP Cocker

go here http://www.a5ownersgroup.com/forum/t...?TOPIC_ID=4438

and here http://www.a5ownersgroup.com/forum/t...?TOPIC_ID=2979

EVERY M98 OWNER REGISTER HERE

http://www.model98.net/

Ordered:

Black 2k3 WGP Autococker
Tippy98Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #24
yakitori
Worst title on Pb******

Send a message via AIM to yakitori
Quote:
Originally posted by wildbill2
When you talk about removing the trigger spring and safety to lighten up the trigger, do you leave them removed or replace them with something else? I have a R/T and wonder if it would be of any benefit to do any of these mods?
If you have an RT, you really dont have to lighten the trigger. The RT kit comes with a stronger sear spring that replaces the stock one. I did the pen spring mod that replaces the trigger spring. and also did a mod to the sear spring with rubber tubing cut to about .5 inches and wrapped around the sear to help quieten it a bit.

How well does the electric tape around the sear pin work for quietening? is it worth doing this mod if using a lapco bigshot, which is kinda loud anyway. I think it may only help w/ pinging, but that doesnt bother me anyway.
yakitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #25
Agent_47
Maples scream Oppression!

Send a message via AIM to Agent_47
i think i found a way to lighten the sear spring. i took the spring out of a stapler, but once its out of the stapler, it compresses down to the size of the regular sear spring. from little testing i've done, it seems to be much lighter. i'll will post updates once i gas up the gun and give it a test.
And the flowers bloom like madness in the spring.

Gun setup:

Rainmaker (in pieces) TBUS
Custom 98 (in pieces)
PGP
Maverick
Agent_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 AM   #26
A5patriot

not bad
A5patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #27
Agent_47

it does seem alot lighter, but that might be from replacing the trigger spring and removing the saftey, but when i cocked it, and shot, the pull was much lighter and it was quieter. but that might be because i have a cold and my ears are stuffed up.

Gun setup:

Custom 98 (in pieces)
PGP
Maverick
Old 03-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #28
Agent_47

didn't work. it kept double firing. so i put the regular spring back in.

Gun setup:

Custom 98 (in pieces)
PGP
Maverick
Old 05-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #29
PB-Predater
Meet my little friend.

Send a message via AIM to PB-Predater
Would scotch tape work for these mods??
PB-Predater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #30
Turambar

Send a message via ICQ to Turambar Send a message via AIM to Turambar Send a message via MSN to Turambar Send a message via Yahoo to Turambar
Quote:
Originally posted by PB-Predater
Would scotch tape work for these mods??
Wrapping it around the pin? If so, yep.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

----------------------------
Tippmann Ultimate Sticky
PBR Tutorial
PBR Feedback! | eBay feedback!
----------------------------
Elen síla lúmenn omentilmo

Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 PM   #31
MWE

Send a message via AIM to MWE
Better way?

I didnt like the idea of wrapping tape, it got really messy. So I took some small pin springs, and cut them so they were small. Then i slid them down onto the trigger and sear pins that were all talking about...It works great and its clean cut. Plus it holds up much better than tape.
MWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #32
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Sounds nice, maybe I should buy a tippy for a secondary and try this . . . or maybe ill keep the cocker for a secondary, and make this a 3rd, oh decisions decisions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
SPPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 02:59 AM   #33
pooptarts92

Send a message via AIM to pooptarts92
I just finished doing this mod. My trigger pull is somewhere between 1-2 mm. Very nice mod. BTW, i used electrical tape. Will this work ok and last an ok amount of time?
roll around in the mud a couple of times and then jump into some woodchips... there you go, insta camo.
pooptarts92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:10 AM   #34
ace6160
Super Mario

Quote:
Originally posted by pooptarts92
I just finished doing this mod. My trigger pull is somewhere between 1-2 mm. Very nice mod. BTW, i used electrical tape. Will this work ok and last an ok amount of time?
It will be fine.
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!”
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Trader Feedback

I'm a rec-balla and i have a gun, isn't that really all that matters?
ace6160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #35
Tippmann Owns
master flamer

First, if your participating in any tournys, i would really recommend that you put trigger stops in instead of putting tape around the pin that the sear rests on, i would also recommend not using any mods to shortenn the sear travel time, if your gun goes full auto in a tourny not only are you going to be laughed at u will be thrown out of the game.

second, how long is this going to be open? i might have something to add in like 5 or 6 days, or could i just PM tonyy when the time is right?
Tippmann Owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #36
Satanicsanta090

Send a message via AIM to Satanicsanta090
I did these mods with heat shrink wrap from radioshack and it makes it so that the sear and trigger slider *almost* touch when the gun is cocked and shortens the pre trigger pull and after shot pull significantly. TO make the pull shorter, a trigger stop could lessen it to close to a millimeter.
Current marker: tippmann 98c, Lapco Bigshot 14' bead blasted, ricochet ak, On power tube, Lapco direct feed + ACI elbow, BSA optics red dot sight, polished internals, milled back site, male palmer stab, silver vein powdercoat, lapco drop, mods

WTS very good condition SL-68II
comes with mint condition 9oz co2 and stock tippmann hopper
Satanicsanta090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #37
tig_welder4

I did not read this when I did it but I machind a new sear stop pin and sanded it down .003 of an inch until it just caught the bolt.

Also to shorten the pull before it fires you can put some epoxy on the trigger right above the spring so it sits closer to being fired because the gape from that part of the trigger to were it touches the valve is bigger.

I used a bic mechanical pencil spring because they are real weak.
tig_welder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #38
TippmannPhreak
Ghost Cell Backman

You don't know how old this thread is, huh?

Rockin' The Ion;
Black Ion
Black Inline Maxflo
Black NDZ Roller Trigger
AKA 2-Liter
Black Q-Lock
Stainless Freak Back w/ Black Teardrop Tip and .693 Insert

Official Green Day Fan Club President. PM me to join.
TippmannPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #39
mass.casualties

little note.

just alittle extra info for those working on the triggers...

I was looking for a cleaner install rather than tape. I tried 1/4 wire heat shrink. It's to big. It caused my marker to go full auto. I'm going to try 3/16 tomorrow. I'm out of that size.

interesting note... The 1/4 inch heat shrink fits perfectly and tightely into the larger hole for the trigger.

It is a very tight fit. First I pulled the pin out. You can see where the trigger rides on this pin. 2) I cut a pieces of heat shrink that fit that section 3) I held the pin with a pair of pilers and them slowly heated the heat shrink. 4) I let it cool down for about 45 seconds and them started slipping the trigger over the pin and heat shrink. This takes time. I did it twices. I honestly takes about 5 minutes. ( I'm not kidding) I also had to do this several times before It worked just right.

The result is a very tight fitting trigger. Only one catch it changes where the sear catches so you have to do the modefor the sear pin also.

I have no prefected this. I'm going to work on it more this weekend.

I like the heat shrink better than the tape because it's more durable.
mass.casualties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #40
John Sullivan
3rd coast wangsta

Send a message via AIM to John Sullivan Send a message via Yahoo to John Sullivan
woah old thread.um i think you couldve posted this in 98 faq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..!..('_')..!.. View Post
I think We should all punch Sullivan in the Face until he has no teeth Left...
John Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote