pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 08-14-2002, 09:10 PM   #201
spencer_dale
*Something not cliche`*

Talking paint

How much would it cost to get a paint job i the portland area? Or, VERY SPECIFICLY how can i make my own paint job. If any one can tell me what to do from preparing, to what kind of paint and technic.I really like that paint job above, like paintballrides pic and also baseballaddict23's job. could you guys gimme some tipps please?
spencer_dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:04 AM   #202
baseballaddict23

Send a message via AIM to baseballaddict23
spencer: i dont live in portland but i will paint guns for 26 for a solid color and 30 for a fade including return shipping

as for doing it yourself (which is what i reccomend), have you read the first post? that tells you basically how to do it

first completly disassemble your gun, taking out everything, including all the trigger pins and such

second, if the black or silver paint already on there is in good shape sand it a little bit to make the new paint stick better to it, if there are a lot of spots that are completly missing the old paint you might want to go ahead and take it all off then apply some primer so that you dont have the uneven spots

then, tape off all the parts you dont want painted (mainly the inside of the gun) and hang the gun somewhere thats well ventalated (sp) and where you dont mind getting paint

finally...spray away! make sure you shake the can well, and after you do a few coats of regular paint put on some clear coat as well, solid colors are obviously easier, but to do a fade all you have to do is spray one color on a little over half the gun, then immediatly spray the other color on the other half, with a little overlap, that will make a nice blend

if you have any questions catch me on AIM or pm me or something and ill try to help
Old 08-21-2002, 01:53 PM   #203
spencer_dale
*Something not cliche`*

do i havta?

Do it have to sand it down or can i just tape up the internals and then spray?
If i want to do the barrel which i do, can i just put masking tape over the threads and then stuff it with cotton balls to protect the inside from the ports. I have a dye X-cel 14 in. do i have to sand it first?
Old 08-21-2002, 02:03 PM   #204
spencer_dale
*Something not cliche`*

Talking bake

baseball,
do you bake your guns that you paint?
dose it make a diffrence?
do i bake it, or broil?
What teputure?
do i need to put it on a bking sheet?
how long do i do it for?
Old 08-21-2002, 08:55 PM   #205
baseballaddict23

spencer

sand the outside of the gun a bit just to roughen it up so the paint will stick better, but basically just tape the inside and spray

for the barrel i usually fill the inside with either cotton balls or paper towels, and tape the threads, im not sure about your barrel, but you will probably need to sand it because it is most likely that the anodizing is smooth and slick, and paint will not stick very well...keep in mind when painting the barrel use VERY thin coats because you tend to get more runny paint on them

as for baking, i have never actually done it myself, the next gun I paint (my own finally...) im gunna try it though, im gunna do it at 150* for 45 minutes to an hour, but im gunna stay close by and make sure nothing happens...i will probably hang the gun in the oven by a wire, i wouldnt suggest putting it directly on the rack because it might give "grill" marks...a baking sheet might work, im not really sure...keep in mind, if you destroy your kitchen/gun it isnt my fault, i havnt tested my theories yet (damn work)
Old 08-21-2002, 09:51 PM   #206
spencer_dale
*Something not cliche`*

Talking thanks

wow, thanks! thats tons of useFUL info. That's a first from pbreview! But any wayz my barrel is pretty slick so can i sand that down a bit? Or do i need, or CAN i use primer?
can i just spray some primer on the whole gun?
Old 08-23-2002, 04:12 PM   #207
baseballaddict23

sanding the barrel some would be a good idea...yes primer is fine to use, and you can spray it wherever you want, but you dont want it where any moving parts are (inside of gun)
Old 09-08-2002, 02:00 AM   #208
FrozenflameZero

i saw this cool paint at wal-mart, its a textured spraypaint... it has like schunks and crap in it... so it would give the gun the outdoorsy look if you'd use that... i custom painted my mask, but i like stock paint on my tipper cuz most stuff for it is already black and im still building on it... well anyway... the only reason i didnt use the paint on my mask was that it was about $7-8 a can... otherwise it would have been pimpin, i hate typing

thats the pic of me and me gun my friend took for me

also makin a rec team, lemme know if u lookin to join one...
FrozenflameZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 05:51 PM   #209
L337Clorox

Im thinking of doing cammo. I think Ill do a real tree look, but a snow cammo would look cool. I play some indoor too though so I cant decide if I want to
L337Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:46 PM   #210
spencer_dale
*Something not cliche`*

Sweet!

It's been a long time since ive been here. I have used all of this info and spray painted my gun. then after about a month of playing with it, the paint started to ware off. So i painted it again today. ( because i am gonna go play wood ball with some of my friends and i want my 98 to like spiffy.) So, i was just wondering if there is some kind of spray that can put a seal over it that at the same time wont give it a very glossy look.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #211
wowcool
Smart Parts blows

hey
Kingtime69: how much would it cost for you to do a lightning job exactly like the one on your old one or better, to a 98c, 12oz co2 tank and MAYBE my barrel? its a ceramic 12inch.

hellfrog: how much would it cost for you to pain my barrel, my 12oz tank, and my 98c in that pretty chameleon color?

ok thanks, and this is a great thread!
one heck of a great website! 2 thumbs up!
wowcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #212
tippmannweekend

ya and me too i want electric blue lightning running down my gun 7 barrel i've got a 98c and ultralight barrel
tippmannweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 06:53 AM   #213
tippmann12

Send a message via AIM to tippmann12
what paint?

Im thinkin of maybe adding some red accents to my tippmann, like doin the front grip red, maybe the trigger frame, and the letters, just to add some color, what type of paint should i use to do this and what should i put ovr top to protect it?
tippmann12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:28 PM   #214
Assass!n
42?

How do I remove the valve? not disassemble it, but just remove it from the marker so i can paint it without risking getting paint on it.
Assass!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:11 PM   #215
baseballaddict23

tippmann12: if you mean the plastic type stuff front grip the paint wont take well to that, i would only paint the metal. I use automotive paint and it lasts fairly well. Just paint it with the red auto paint then put a health number of clear coats on top to protect it. Its better to do lots of thin coats then a few thick coats, and give ecah layer plenty of time to dry. That will give you the best results

Assass!n: simply dissassemble the gun as if you were cleaning it, and then go one step further and take out the two screws on the right hand side of the gun, which will allow you to pop out the entire powertube and valve. Also it is best to take the trigger assemble and everything out as well, but make sure you know where everything goes. If you aren't very familiar with the trigger system I would take a few detailed pics of it so you can get it back together properly, or there is a diagram in the tippmann instruction book that shows you how. Also, when you paint make sure to tape the inside of the gun where the parts go (where the powertube, front bolt, linkage arm, and back bolt go) because you do not want any paint getting on there. Finally, its a good idea to plug the screw and elbow holes so that they don't get coated in paint and you can still put your gun together . Good luck!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:59 AM   #216
Assass!n
42?

Thanks. Thats what I thought it was but I wasnt sure, so I didnt.
Assass!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #217
ARCANEJOKER

Here is my finished product using the above mentioned steps.
I think it turned out well...but that's just me...http://www.boomspeed.com/arcanejoker/CAMO.A-5
ARCANEJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #218
Grim_Reaper999
Super Man

heres my tippmann

its a woods gun
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
Grim_Reaper999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #219
cls6888

Send a message via AIM to cls6888
I am goin to paint my gun soon but the only problem is , is im not sure n what color i dont want camo but yet not a bright color that will make me stik out of the woods.
can u guys post some pics of urs or give me some ideas thanx

- also i was wondering when ur paintin ur gun what do u do about the tippmann writing onthe side of the gun how dont i get paint on that?
cls6888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #220
Grim_Reaper999
Super Man

my gun

today i just did paint my tippmann blue its nice..when i get my stuff i ordered ill post it u guys will like it trust me...
Grim_Reaper999 is offline   Reply With Quote