The JT Chameleon series™ Proteus (patent pending) is a quantum leap in paintball technology. Advanced micro spectrum pigments have been created to change colors every time you move. This new Proteus™ will constantly evolve in a spectrum of color with every play you make. The backbone of this new Proteus™ is still our most innovative creation, designed for maximum protection with a minimal target zone. The JT Uni-body polymer mask features one of the lowest profiles on the market today. Engineered for maximum effectivemess for communication on the field, it incorporates unique audio capabilities and fog-resistant performance making this the most advanced goggle system available. A 260 degree field of view is provided by the Spectra™ lens, the most popular in paintball. Competing this incredible system is our new "Diamond Gloss" finish, giving you that unbelievable "wet look". JT, the ever changing face of paintball!
The JT Chameleon Series Proteus Mask is older, so while it may be available used and in a few cases new, it is not commonly available anymore.
Tinted-lenses block out sun good,awsome upgrades (fans), cool look to it.
The color stands out (like it matters) and it is close to the chin.
The mask so far has never let me down and has proven to be pretty cool. It also gets a lot of attention from my friends for having such a cool mask. It does keep the sun out with the tinted lenses and the visor, but sometimes the tinted lenses aren't so good (it you can't see good tilt your head up a little and look through the clear part). Also it keeps me up with the latest fashion to say since my friend has a dye invision and it is kinda competetive with him and me with two highly regarded companies. (JT and DYE)
Overall I think it is a great mask and if you know where to look you can get it cheaper (I got mine for $65). The mask also is an attention getter and is well worth the money.
Difficulty changing lenses
Strap loosens during games
The Proteus is fantastic. I wouldn't call it a mask as much as I'd say it's a HELMET. The thing feels like you're about to jump on a Kawasaki in a leather jacket. The Proteus does tend to hit my chin when I talk though. If you see a profile shot of it, the chin guard angles inward quite a bit...but it's not a big deal. The mouth protection on this one is flexible rubber. The strap on Proteus is iffy at staying in place. Changing the lenses are a nightmare, only thing really wrong with this helmet. It's not the hardest thing in the world to do, I'm sure childbirth and the Bar Exam are tougher. It's one of the better masks out there. Intimidation factor of 10.
Style to spare, great lense, you can almost see behind you, and plus you can put a fan on this thing. If you have a small head though, this mask will feel bulky and loose.
9 out of 10
Last edited on Saturday, November 8th, 2003 at 11:29 pm PST
Piranha STS Core, stock everything except for the upgraded Venturi bolt.
*great thermal lens, no fog
*awesome peripheral vision
*chin sticks out, though that problem is easily solved
If you're here to judge wether to get this mask or the DYE Invision (many of you probably are), I would first start off by saying this is definately the best choice. I have used both masks and I find this one to be far better than the invision. First off is comfort: the invision and proteus are near equal in this catergory, as both offer a snug fit and comfortable padding and a good secure strap. It offers great protection too while keeping a low profile, something i appreciate. Thermal mask hasn't fogged on me yet. This mask also offers great vision (260 degrees or so) which is amazing to behold when all you've previously been using is a basic mask. You can see pretty much everything around you and your peripheral vision is great, so no one will ever be able to sneak up on you. Last there is LOOK. This mask is simply amazing to look at. The colors blend together awesomely and the tinted visor and low profile combine together to create one intimidating mask. The only bad thing is that, like other reviews have said, your chin WILL stick out when you talk. But it's a minor problem and is easily solved by not walking around with your jaw wide open while paint flies in your direction. Great price too (55$ on ebay). Though the invision and proteus are both awesome masks, this one just pushes ahead and imo the best mask out there for the money.
gloss black Xmag w/ black Smart Parts all American 14", Black Halo B, AGD flatline with black tank cover
did I mention comfortable?
when yelling, chin hangs out the bottom.
hard to get lenses out.
This is easily the best mask I've used. My only beef with this thing is you practically need the jaws of life to get the lenses out. If you know how hard the Invision is, this is almost as hard. Some people say it doesn't cover your chin when you're mouths open, but i only do that when yelling, and i usually get back behind the bunker to do that.
best mask out there. you should really think aoubt buying it.
Spyder Sonix , Omega Xtreme Rage Clear Sticky Grip , 20oz CO2 bottle , JT Proteus Gold , Fatboy pods x3 mettalic red , 32 degrees rhino gloves.
Everything is wicked about the mask
Not much neck protection and your chin sticks out a bit
Jt spectra PRO flex does not compare to the proteus the proteus is a nicely crafted mask and briliantly looking which brings a whole new meaning to paintball.
The size of the lenze gives you a good vision compared to other masks the look of the mask is far better than all other masks.
Not much neck protection and your chin sticks out a bit
IF U LIKE PAINTBALLING SAVE YOUR MONEY BUY THE PROTEUS
BEST MASK ON THE MARKET WORTH THE MONEY ALTHOUGH IT IS A BIT EXPENSIVE AT SOME PLACES BUT U CAN FIND IT MOST PLACES FOR ABOUT £70 - $80
10 out of 10
Last edited on Monday, December 13th, 2004 at 11:36 am PST
Many others, they get blown out of the sky by this one.
2. No Fog
3. Sun protection
6. Form Fitting
2. Digs into Back of Head
3. Lenses Hard to Remove
1. The goggles wrap around a very large area in the front, giving you no side seeing impairment at all. It's like not even wearing a mask. The height of the lense is also the best i've ever used or seen.
2. I've used this mask every time I play and have NEVER once had it fog. I don't care what other masks offer, be it radios, or whatever. Your lense is the MOST important part of paintball. Without a good lense you won't be able to SEE your opponents! My past masks fogged so bad I couldn't see at all! I think others could agree that have used other masks. This lense doesn't fog at all, and this mask is one of the best.
3. The lense has a really neat feature, the tint on the top, and the clear on the bottom. However, this can also be a neusence. At night, it makes seeing very difficult since the tint is at eye level, however, you can always just tilt your head a little and see out of the clear half. It protects from the sun better than a regular mask, but isn't quite like shades, THE SUN WILL STILL BURN YOUR EYES. So watch out.
4. This mask has the best hearability too. I've had problems with hearing my opponents with other masks, but have never had a problem with this one.
5. Other masks are also itchy and hurt your head. This one is amazingly comfortable. This one doesn't slide around at all, because of the cool rubber covered head strap.
6. It is definetely one of the sleekest masks out there(not to mention COOL looking). It is incredibly form fitting, and won't allow your enemies ANY slack when it comes to extra target to hit. Sometimes it feels like you chins sticking out even though it's not. And the mask doesn't protect your neck AT ALL. This is the only seriously negative thing, since other masks offer neck protection.
1. The lense is actually harder to clean, although it's much easier to get to the inside without taking the lense off than on most other masks. Also, some of the small detailed little slits on the front can be a trouble to get paint out of. The mouth gaurd also allows for a lot of paint to get in(so keep your mouth closed at all times, paint has a very gross texture).
2. I've noticed that the place I naturally set the back of the mask on me head actually digs into the back of my head. Causing some pain after a while. However, that can be easily fixed by wearing a winter cap(which I do), or pulling the strap up higher.
3. I don't know who designed the goggle release system( obviously JT), but it's like rocket science. I would simply recomend NEVER taking the goggles out unless you are replacing the lense.
4. From the front, the mask is very small, for less target, but from the side, I've noticed it's a little bigger than some masks(However, up to this point, i've never been hit in the side of the mask).
I would recommend this product to anyone. I got mine for $67.00 and wouldn't trade it for anything, that's right you dye lovers, ANYTHING! This mask is just as good as any more expensive mask, it just costs less. And it looks a whole lot cooler than anything else on the market. I would however recommend paintball lense cleaning solution, and a 100% cotton glasses cleaner ( you can obtain this from any eye cair center). That is THE BEST way to take care of your mask and make sure it's stays brand new. This mask is worth every penny ( hey, it even COMES with a mask carrying bag!). Recommended to ANYONE who can afford one.
Tippmann 98 Custom OD Green
32 degrees Whisper barrel
Target Sports Red Dot sight
200 rnd hopper
20 oz tank
High pressure Coiled Remote
Dead on Rear Velocity Adjuster
Awesome looks 'n color!
Replacing lenses needs practice
Let's start with saying that this is an awesome mask!
What made me buy this one, I have to admit, is the color! The chameleon color i sreally cool! It's not that camo, but hey, if you're a good player that doesn't really matter.
Do you know the movie "Alien"? Well, maybe you remember those aliens called "facehuggers"? That is what this mask is, it really hugs your face and that's why it is so comfortable, it's like you're not wearing a mask at all! With my Scott mask I often felt like wearing a medieval knight mask, because it didn't always stay in place. This one is really a winner when it comes down to comfort. The strap is very easy and effective to adjust. This one always stays in place while running and jumping.
During the last game that lasted for more than 5 hours I did not have any problems with fogging. Plus you have a big field of vision, very cool!
The quality of the material. It's a sort of softer plastic, wich adds to the comfort and also seems better than the harder plastic of some masks. I think it'll last longer.
Also the visor (big one) helps you to cool of, if you tilt your head a little bit up the air comes flowing in and it really refreshes you!
You can also slap on alot of cool upgrades/replacements. Like new straps with cool designs, diff colored lenses (I have yellow fade and chrome orange), fans etc etc.
As for weaknesses...
It's more expensive, but still worth it's price (check eBay, I got mine there for 'bout 50$)
When you want to replace the lens, it's a real pain in the ass. But after doing it twice I got hold of it. But if could've been easier.
Just buy it, I don't think you will regret it! You get alot of impressed looks in between games and you have a high quality comfy mask that gives you clear visibility!
Just replacing lenses is 'somewhat' difficult. But hey...
well this is an awsome mask i love it and just barly got it if your thinking about a proteus or the invison get the proteus it dosent fog up = better vison and the invisons padding soaks up every thing after a while it becomes like a sponge of sweatand the gold to green is great for the desert and forest fields becuase the color matches those surrondings.
thought it took my a while to get one i persoily love mine if you can get one GET IT the price is pricy but for the color change its worth it
does it really matter?
spyder electra dx, teardrop barrel, custom built response trigger, halo tsa backman
Reflective (at times)
Lens scratches easily
this is the best mask i have ever used. it has a small profile. it lets you breathe better than any mask i have ever had, or even tried on. i have never had a glare on my mask, except when i had splatter all of the lens. yeah the lens on mine kinda scratched easily, but the lens is so nice, that i dont even notice it until i am cleaning it. I am a big woodsball guy, so the only drawback of the mask in woodsball is that the sun can reflect off of it and give away your position. but if u dont play woods, u dont have a problem.
this is one of the best masks ever. the only mask i would get over this is the E-vents, but i dont have that one yet. this mask is awesome. get it if u can. i love this mask and i got it for 50 bucks with the comm set up. so the price isnt that steep., especially compared to some of the other masks out there.
Emipire B Reloader
Apocolypse 2K Air
Stiletto Drop Forward
Great ventilation, looks plain awesome, great fog protection, and plenty of face room.
A little small may get some neck shots
Great mask! My personal favorite. This thing looks dead sexy for one, the ventilation's good, and it never fogs. The only thing is that if you just play Rec ball and your not to serious about it, this mask has a piece of rubber going down the bottom to bounce balls, so if you just play rec and you don't want to get hurt you may want to just get a hard mask. But a great mask for tourneys and Rec.
If you dont want to buy Anti-Fog after buying a $90+ mask this is a great mask for you A+