The New Ion Board
The new Ion Board from Smart Parts is a tournament level, upgrade circuit board with many new features. It gives you full operational control and a wider range of adjustment of your paintball marker. We have included a fully adjustable Rebound and NXL modes, a D-bounce adjustment, Bolt Stick Adjustment (BSA, to eliminate any first shot drop problems), kick in rate adjustment, sustaining rate adjustment, # of Shots to Kick In, and a short cut key for ROF. Also you will notice the addition of a new speaker to make the on/off and board-mode-adjustments more user-friendly as well as more identifiable.
Installation: Follow your Ion Owners Manual for instructions on removal of stock board and installation of the new board. It has been designed to fit in your Ion with no modifications. You must use the banjo fittings from your stock board assembly on the new upgrade board.
1. After pressing and holding the on/off button for two seconds the board will chirp and turn on in its vision state of firing mode.
2. The on/off button can be used to switch back and forth from base mode to vision mode pressing the button quickly and observing the change in light pattern from a steady blink to an interrupted blinking light sequence.
3. You must unscrew rubber grip screws and open up your grip to access the mode button. By pressing this mode button (the button below the on/off button) once, the board will enter into the adjustment mode. The first thing you will see is a solid yellow light indicating you are in “Dwell Adjustment”. As you continue pressing the mode button, you will cycle through the modes which are each defined by a specific color and flash sequence (see chart A below).
Adjustment Color Codes (Chart A)
Modes Light Color Mode Button On/Off Button Range
Dwell Solid Yellow Down Up 1 to 89
ROF(Rate of Fire) Solid Red Up Down 1 to 91
Firing Modes Single Blink Yellow Down Up 1 to 4
Debounce Single Blink Red Down Up 1 to 25
BSA (bolt stick adjust) Double Blink Yellow Down Up 1 to 26
Kick In Rate Adjust Double Blink Red Down Up 3sps-10sps
Sustain Rate Adjust Fast Blink Yellow Down Up 3sps-10sps
# Of Shots to Enter Firing Mode Fast Blink Red Down Up 3 pulls-10 pulls
Short Cut Key * Yellow and Red Both Pressed Both
*Short Cut Key- When both buttons are depressed for 1 second, the red and yellow lights will stay on to identify that your fire rate has been set to 14.7 sps (shots per second)
4. While in any of these categories if you wait 4 seconds the speaker will chirp to identify what that range is set too. For example if it was in the dwell setting mode and the dwell was set to 30, after 4 seconds the speaker would chirp 30 times.
5. If you decide to leave the adjustment table without making any changes, simply pull and release the trigger one time, and the board will go back into its base (non vision) firing mode. ***Note that if there is air charged in the gun, it will not be able to fire while in adjustment mode. However, be careful because as soon as you release the trigger, you will be able to fire the gun***
6. If you decide to change one of the settings, while the board is in any of the categories listed above, pull and hold the trigger for 3 seconds, in which case the speaker will chirp 5 times (to let you know that you can make adjustments), and then while the trigger is still being held you can adjust a setting by pressing the mode button to adjust down or the on/off button to adjust up. While adjusting, the speaker will still make a high pitch chirp for each adjustment up and a low pitch chirp for each adjustment down.
7. As long as you hold the trigger, you can adjust the setting up or down. Once you have reached your desired setting, releasing the trigger will put the board back into base fire mode and save your new setting. The board will chirp a very fast beep when it can’t go any higher or lower in the adjustment mode.
8. To turn your marker off, simply press and hold on/off button until the board chirps (approximately 2 seconds) and the light ceases to blink.
• Dwell- This adjusts how long the bolt stays forward on each firing cycle. Too low of a dwell will not allow the marker to fire and if the dwell is set too high you will loose a lot of gas efficiency. Refer to your Ion manual on how to properly set your dwell.
• Rate of Fire (ROF) - This can also be labeled pause time because with every adjustment, you are increasing or decreasing the pause time between each shot. This is why this mode is the only mode where you press the “down” mode button to increase the setting. Adjusting up (increasing the pause between shots) will turn your ROF down and adjusting down (decreasing the pause between shots) will increase ROF.
• Firing Mode – There are 4 different modes that you can cycle through while in the Firing Mode adjustment stage. Here are the different modes and their descriptions:
Semi-Auto- This mode is strictly semi-auto only. The kick in rate and sustain rate are not applicable in this mode. This mode would be the ideal setting if playing in the NPPL Super 7 or any other tournament which doesn’t allow any ramping software. NPPL IDEAL SETTING: Debounce-as low as you can get it without the gun shooting itself from the bounce of it firing. If you can pull the trigger slowly and if the gun kicks, causing it to fire more than one ball it, might be deemed illegal. ROF- 20/maxed
• Rebound- In this mode, when you pull the trigger a set amount of times, the gun will “kick in” into assisted-type of firing as long as you continue to pull the trigger a set amount of times per second. This is where you can use the kick in rate and the sustain rate. This is the best mode for the Millennium Series. MILLENNIUM SERIES IDEAL SETTING: Kick In Rate- 8, Sustain Rate- 8, ROF- 14.7
• NXL Full-Auto- The name is just what it suggests, it is full auto after you pull the trigger the set amount of times and then continue to hold the trigger. If you happen to release the trigger, you have just under one second to pull it again before you would have to pull it the set amount of times again. NXL IDEAL SETTING: Kick In Rate- 3, Sustain Rate- 1, ROF-14.7
• Tournament Rebound- This mode is best used in PSP’s X-ball divisional play. The rules are similar to the NXL except that you have to continue to pull the trigger at least 1 pull a second at all times. They do not allow complete full auto. This mode can be fully adjusted to comply with any league that allows ramping such as the PSP and the Millennium. TOURNAMENT REBOUND IDEAL SETTING: PSP: Kick In Rate- 3, Sustain Rate- 1, ROF- 14.7. Millennium: Kick In Rate- 8, Sustain Rate- 8, ROF- Check current Millennium Series rules.
• Debounce – This setting is best used with the normal semi-auto mode. The lower you set the debounce, the gun will feel like it shoots a lot smoother and easier. You have to be careful of rules and regulations because if you take the debounce too low, and you pull the trigger slowly, the kick of the gun might make it shoot more than one time. In many leagues and tournaments, that would be an illegal gun. Also, if you drop the debounce down all the way to 1, it will be in full auto which is not legal at many fields and tournaments.
• BSA (Bolt Stick Adjustment) - This mode is to help compensate for any first shot drop (when a guns first shot is very low in velocity compared to the shots following the first one) that you might be experiencing. After the gun sits for a period of time, the board will increase the dwell setting (amount depends on your current BSA setting) to alleviate any first shot drop. If you do not experience any, then, obviously you would be at the lowest setting within the BSA to avoid any hot gun penalties.
• Kick In Rate- This refers to the shots per second you must reach by pulling the trigger before the board will “kick in” to NXL Full Auto or Tournament Rebound. The higher the setting, the harder it will be to kick into either of the modes. The lower the setting, the easier it will be to kick in.
• Sustain Rate- This refers to the shots per second you must sustain by pulling the trigger to keep the board “kicked in” to NXL Full Auto or Tournament Rebound. The higher the setting, the faster you will have to pull the trigger to sustain the NXL Full Auto or the Tournament Rebound. The lower the setting, the slower you will have to pull the trigger to sustain the NXL Full Auto or the Tournament Rebound.
• # of Shots to enter Fire Mode- This mode adjusts how many shots are needed to be pulled in order for it to kick in to full auto or rebound modes. You can adjust it from 1 to 10 pulls to kick it in. This means that if it is set to 10, no matter what, you have to pull the trigger 10 times before it will ever kick in to its mode.
• Short Cut Key- This is actually not a mode but a handy feature on the new board. If you had been playing in different tournament series or messing around at your local field, and you had adjusted your rate of fire to something higher than the tournament legal 15 balls per second, all you have to do is hold the mode and on/off button together for one second, the board will chirp and both lights will stay on. This will put your rate of fire back to 14.7 balls per second. This can be convenient if you are in a hurry and/or don’t have the device handy that tells you your rate of fire. No one wants a major penalty right?
The Smart Parts Blackheart Ion Board is newer, so it should be commonly available, both new and used.
Ion, blackheart board, PMI flame drop forward, Redz On/Off ASA, Redz clamp feed, SP Unicorn Nano Bolt, 14" Dye UL barrel, Evlution II and Zboard
Many firing modes
speaker for easier adjustments
Comes 20bps preset
I love it. I play with it a lot and it shoots so much faster than stock board. Works well even with stock eyes (I think actually makes stock eyes better) I think the only way it could have been better if it had a higher ROF. Oh well. still wicked awesome and still shoots VERY fast. I have also gotten very used to the new speakers. they help immensely with adjustments (especially with big numbers, such as ROF)
one problem is in pictures it shows the board with new eyes, but mine had no eyes with it upon recieval. i am wondering if it was just mine or every one. oh well, still works fine with stock eyes
I think you would be smart to buy this, though the virtue board is coming out soon, the blackheart is 30 dollars cheaper and still shoots very fast (virtue comes preset 15bps or can shoot as fast as your hopper, has no speaker)
Avenger Ion board(only tested) The avenger board is not massed produced but the blackheart board was much better except for one thing. The avenger was capped at 26 and not 20
sp ion**fbm black/blue polish cage body**black dust 14" dye ul**black check it unimount**blackheart board**qev**cp trigger**black q-lock**virtue red beam eyes**dye hyper 2 reg**egg2 with z board**45/45 cross fire**lucky stage 1&2**
Faster, beeps with activation, not a battery killer, cheap
Kapped at 20
Ever since i got my ion ive been waiting for a faster board. And now theres finally a board from a company you can trust. Its not the 25+ i was hopping for but its a start. The activation beep is a major plus. With all the problems ive read about people having trouble knowing when there ion turns on and off. Now you just wait for the beep and your ready to play.
Buy this board. Trust me its worth the speed and the money.
Black heart board
Tech T Lightening Bolt
NDZ Roller Trigger
CP Shorty Reg
Redz Clamping Feed neck
Dead On Drop
SP Pro Touch Grips
Empire Fuel 45/45
Fast Alot of Option Cool Sounds Blue LED
Confusing at first but you will understand
At first i had trouble setting the thing up but i got it all together and wow does it rip i mean this thing is a monster i absouloutly love it its deffinetly woth 100 dollers. i wouldnt go a head and tell you to buy it becuase the virtue will be comming out soo and that is just going to eat the competition
Get it if you dont wanna wait and ay an extra 40$ for the virtue but it is a very decent board
The accuracy of this review is disputed. Please see discussion on the comments page.
Period of Product Use:
Less than a month
2 of 18 people found this review helpful.
Similar Products Used:
stock ion board
freak junior barrel kit
micro max flow 68/4500
Blue led lights
1. Fire Rate (Adjustable)
2. Trigger Debounce (Adjustable)
3. Kick-In Rate for Advanced Modes (Adjustable)
4. Sustain Rate for Advanced Modes (Adjustable)
5. Shots Fired to Enter Advanced Mode (Adjustable)
6. First Shot Drop Software (Adjustable)
7. PSP Legal Mode (Adjustable)
8. NXL Legal Mode (Adjustable)
9. Millennium Legal Mode (Adjustable)
10. Three Shot Burst
11. Low Battery Indicator
12. More User-Friendly Software
Additional ION features
1. New Speaker for Easier Adjustments and On/Off Activation
2. Non-Battery Draining Design
3. Nickel Plated Solenoid Components
4. New Higher Max Rate of Fire Software (20 shots/sec)
Ok i never had any problems with this board and highly recommend this board and i easily give this board a 10
well ive used a virtue before (my friends) it rips just as good the virtue, but it does not have as many pre-sets.
smart parts ion
system x grips
shocktech feed neck
new dezigns on/off
cp sling trigger
easy to change modes
loud chirps for turning on/off
At first it will be a little bit hard to program
Alright well i take it out of box and install that is the easy part becuase it gives you new eyes and hoses so you dont have to change the old ones out. That was the easy part, next setting up the board took some patients i set it up about 2 or 3 times to get it right but after i got it it was a breaze to set up and ripped pretty decently
I would say buy it, becuase it is as good as any other board out there and the customer service on it is awesome :) the only reason i am giving it a nine is beucase it could have more presets
9 out of 10
Last edited on Monday, September 11th, 2006 at 7:17 pm PST
Not as much settings as other boards
Other boards have higher ROF
Ramping is capped
The ion black heart board is one of the greatest tourney board upgrades you could get besides the v board. Its easy to install and set up little or no hassle. ROF is higher, which is great but it could be higher, and it chirps which makes it easier to know when its on/off.
The only problem I had with this board was how high the dwell (How fast the bolt goes back and forth) is when you take it out of the box, thus giving the ion poor gas efficiency.
The black heart helps the ion stand up against other high-end markers such as timmys, and shockers.
I definitely would buy it, because of the simplicity and effectiveness of the black heart makes it a board you shouldn't pass up
Ion w/qev, blackheart, new designz blade, q - lock feedneck, freak, shocker regulator, dovetail drop forward, on/off valve, 68ci 4500psi tank, and Halo b w/ rip drive
Complicated at first
I bought this a few months ago, and boy, was it worth the money. the only real problem about the blackheart is that there are so many modes. I was at a tournement, when I foundout my "capitan" had entered us in a non-ramping division. So then I had to turn the ramping off....I'd rather not get into that.....But, on the good side, once you under stand the how to change the modes it all becomes clearer. The better battery efficiency is a god-send
because I was tired of buying 9 volt after 9 volt. Also, it has a different colour light so you can see it better in the daytime. When I didn't have the blackheart, I fond it damn near impossible to get the stock board to rebound, but now I ramp with ease.
dye inline 2 reg
check it unimount
14' freak jr barrel
Fast, easy to use, chirping sound, doesnt eat the battery
just got this board a week ago and used it for the first time today, it is so great. i llike the chirping sound cause sometimes its bright out and i cant see if the light on the membrane is blinking or not but i can deffanetly hear if its on now, big plus! its also very easy to use, more features then the stock board yet so easy to understand. Its pretty fast too, supposedly capped at 20bps which is fast enough, i mean goin any faster is basically a waste of paint imo. Ya so even though ive only used it once i can allready tell this was a smart purchase.
If your looking for a new board i would recommend this, ive heard good things about the virtue board as well so if you want to be sure i would recommend trying an ion with a virtue board and an ion with a blackheart.
10 out of 10
Last edited on Tuesday, May 16th, 2006 at 3:33 pm PST