The New Ion Board
The new Ion Board from Smart Parts is a tournament level, upgrade circuit board with many new features. It gives you full operational control and a wider range of adjustment of your paintball marker. We have included a fully adjustable Rebound and NXL modes, a D-bounce adjustment, Bolt Stick Adjustment (BSA, to eliminate any first shot drop problems), kick in rate adjustment, sustaining rate adjustment, # of Shots to Kick In, and a short cut key for ROF. Also you will notice the addition of a new speaker to make the on/off and board-mode-adjustments more user-friendly as well as more identifiable.
Installation: Follow your Ion Owners Manual for instructions on removal of stock board and installation of the new board. It has been designed to fit in your Ion with no modifications. You must use the banjo fittings from your stock board assembly on the new upgrade board.
1. After pressing and holding the on/off button for two seconds the board will chirp and turn on in its vision state of firing mode.
2. The on/off button can be used to switch back and forth from base mode to vision mode pressing the button quickly and observing the change in light pattern from a steady blink to an interrupted blinking light sequence.
3. You must unscrew rubber grip screws and open up your grip to access the mode button. By pressing this mode button (the button below the on/off button) once, the board will enter into the adjustment mode. The first thing you will see is a solid yellow light indicating you are in “Dwell Adjustment”. As you continue pressing the mode button, you will cycle through the modes which are each defined by a specific color and flash sequence (see chart A below).
Adjustment Color Codes (Chart A)
Modes Light Color Mode Button On/Off Button Range
Dwell Solid Yellow Down Up 1 to 89
ROF(Rate of Fire) Solid Red Up Down 1 to 91
Firing Modes Single Blink Yellow Down Up 1 to 4
Debounce Single Blink Red Down Up 1 to 25
BSA (bolt stick adjust) Double Blink Yellow Down Up 1 to 26
Kick In Rate Adjust Double Blink Red Down Up 3sps-10sps
Sustain Rate Adjust Fast Blink Yellow Down Up 3sps-10sps
# Of Shots to Enter Firing Mode Fast Blink Red Down Up 3 pulls-10 pulls
Short Cut Key * Yellow and Red Both Pressed Both
*Short Cut Key- When both buttons are depressed for 1 second, the red and yellow lights will stay on to identify that your fire rate has been set to 14.7 sps (shots per second)
4. While in any of these categories if you wait 4 seconds the speaker will chirp to identify what that range is set too. For example if it was in the dwell setting mode and the dwell was set to 30, after 4 seconds the speaker would chirp 30 times.
5. If you decide to leave the adjustment table without making any changes, simply pull and release the trigger one time, and the board will go back into its base (non vision) firing mode. ***Note that if there is air charged in the gun, it will not be able to fire while in adjustment mode. However, be careful because as soon as you release the trigger, you will be able to fire the gun***
6. If you decide to change one of the settings, while the board is in any of the categories listed above, pull and hold the trigger for 3 seconds, in which case the speaker will chirp 5 times (to let you know that you can make adjustments), and then while the trigger is still being held you can adjust a setting by pressing the mode button to adjust down or the on/off button to adjust up. While adjusting, the speaker will still make a high pitch chirp for each adjustment up and a low pitch chirp for each adjustment down.
7. As long as you hold the trigger, you can adjust the setting up or down. Once you have reached your desired setting, releasing the trigger will put the board back into base fire mode and save your new setting. The board will chirp a very fast beep when it can’t go any higher or lower in the adjustment mode.
8. To turn your marker off, simply press and hold on/off button until the board chirps (approximately 2 seconds) and the light ceases to blink.
• Dwell- This adjusts how long the bolt stays forward on each firing cycle. Too low of a dwell will not allow the marker to fire and if the dwell is set too high you will loose a lot of gas efficiency. Refer to your Ion manual on how to properly set your dwell.
• Rate of Fire (ROF) - This can also be labeled pause time because with every adjustment, you are increasing or decreasing the pause time between each shot. This is why this mode is the only mode where you press the “down” mode button to increase the setting. Adjusting up (increasing the pause between shots) will turn your ROF down and adjusting down (decreasing the pause between shots) will increase ROF.
• Firing Mode – There are 4 different modes that you can cycle through while in the Firing Mode adjustment stage. Here are the different modes and their descriptions:
Semi-Auto- This mode is strictly semi-auto only. The kick in rate and sustain rate are not applicable in this mode. This mode would be the ideal setting if playing in the NPPL Super 7 or any other tournament which doesn’t allow any ramping software. NPPL IDEAL SETTING: Debounce-as low as you can get it without the gun shooting itself from the bounce of it firing. If you can pull the trigger slowly and if the gun kicks, causing it to fire more than one ball it, might be deemed illegal. ROF- 20/maxed
• Rebound- In this mode, when you pull the trigger a set amount of times, the gun will “kick in” into assisted-type of firing as long as you continue to pull the trigger a set amount of times per second. This is where you can use the kick in rate and the sustain rate. This is the best mode for the Millennium Series. MILLENNIUM SERIES IDEAL SETTING: Kick In Rate- 8, Sustain Rate- 8, ROF- 14.7
• NXL Full-Auto- The name is just what it suggests, it is full auto after you pull the trigger the set amount of times and then continue to hold the trigger. If you happen to release the trigger, you have just under one second to pull it again before you would have to pull it the set amount of times again. NXL IDEAL SETTING: Kick In Rate- 3, Sustain Rate- 1, ROF-14.7
• Tournament Rebound- This mode is best used in PSP’s X-ball divisional play. The rules are similar to the NXL except that you have to continue to pull the trigger at least 1 pull a second at all times. They do not allow complete full auto. This mode can be fully adjusted to comply with any league that allows ramping such as the PSP and the Millennium. TOURNAMENT REBOUND IDEAL SETTING: PSP: Kick In Rate- 3, Sustain Rate- 1, ROF- 14.7. Millennium: Kick In Rate- 8, Sustain Rate- 8, ROF- Check current Millennium Series rules.
• Debounce – This setting is best used with the normal semi-auto mode. The lower you set the debounce, the gun will feel like it shoots a lot smoother and easier. You have to be careful of rules and regulations because if you take the debounce too low, and you pull the trigger slowly, the kick of the gun might make it shoot more than one time. In many leagues and tournaments, that would be an illegal gun. Also, if you drop the debounce down all the way to 1, it will be in full auto which is not legal at many fields and tournaments.
• BSA (Bolt Stick Adjustment) - This mode is to help compensate for any first shot drop (when a guns first shot is very low in velocity compared to the shots following the first one) that you might be experiencing. After the gun sits for a period of time, the board will increase the dwell setting (amount depends on your current BSA setting) to alleviate any first shot drop. If you do not experience any, then, obviously you would be at the lowest setting within the BSA to avoid any hot gun penalties.
• Kick In Rate- This refers to the shots per second you must reach by pulling the trigger before the board will “kick in” to NXL Full Auto or Tournament Rebound. The higher the setting, the harder it will be to kick into either of the modes. The lower the setting, the easier it will be to kick in.
• Sustain Rate- This refers to the shots per second you must sustain by pulling the trigger to keep the board “kicked in” to NXL Full Auto or Tournament Rebound. The higher the setting, the faster you will have to pull the trigger to sustain the NXL Full Auto or the Tournament Rebound. The lower the setting, the slower you will have to pull the trigger to sustain the NXL Full Auto or the Tournament Rebound.
• # of Shots to enter Fire Mode- This mode adjusts how many shots are needed to be pulled in order for it to kick in to full auto or rebound modes. You can adjust it from 1 to 10 pulls to kick it in. This means that if it is set to 10, no matter what, you have to pull the trigger 10 times before it will ever kick in to its mode.
• Short Cut Key- This is actually not a mode but a handy feature on the new board. If you had been playing in different tournament series or messing around at your local field, and you had adjusted your rate of fire to something higher than the tournament legal 15 balls per second, all you have to do is hold the mode and on/off button together for one second, the board will chirp and both lights will stay on. This will put your rate of fire back to 14.7 balls per second. This can be convenient if you are in a hurry and/or don’t have the device handy that tells you your rate of fire. No one wants a major penalty right?
The Smart Parts Blackheart Ion Board is newer, so it should be commonly available, both new and used.
Rally White Body Kit
Unicorn Ion Bolt
Dye sticky Grip (White)
Pure Energy Nitro Tank
Halo B Hopper
You know when it is on because it chirps.
Kewl blue light color.
I would recomend a new trigger other than stock
use a better hopper
I bought this board with my ion the first day i got it. I was immediotly surprised how loud it was and how bright the blue light was. I haven used all of the modes yet but so far they work super! The stock trigger is pretty good but it isnt sencitive enough to shoot 20 per second.This board is worth the money because all of the new modes are very helpful and those extra 3 balls per second dosent sound like alot but it is. If you are using a hopper like a Riccochet or an Egg, switch to an Empire reloader B or a Halo B. Sometimes you cant tell weather you are shooting faster that 17 but you are and you may not realize it so go with a faster hopper!!
This board is super good , if you have an ion BUY THIS BOARD !!!!
YELLOW ION,JR FREAK,EGG,DEAD ON BIG DROP,CROSSFIRE 45,BLACKHEART BOARD,CP REG,CP TRIGGER.,smart parts feedneck, dye tank cover.
Hard to adjust
Very fast i love my board.I have not had any problems with my board. It works great and is very fast.it is hard to adjust it a little.the speaker in it is great. overall its better than the t board. the board is also only 100$. I have it in my gun
Custom Bodied Ion
Black Heart Board
Dye Mini Gauge
Check- it Uni mount
Ndz S-Treme Trigger
Ndz Twist lock feedneck
05 Torpedo Reg.
Hybrid Contract Killer Grips
Setting settings is easy
Kind of expensive
The Black Heart board features many more options then the stock board. It is not that expensive for what your going to get out of this board. Easy to install, setting the settings is easy. It has many differnt modes from PSP mode - Short key. This is a good board to buy it is also durable.
SP Ion, Check-It on/off, Dye Ultralite .688 back, Hybrid Headlock feedneck, CP Roller Trigger, System X Vengence Reg, Black Heart Board
ability to be customized
Faster Max ROF
Capped at 20BPS
At first i was kind of skeptical about getting it knowing that its 20 bps cap. but after i realized that not many hoppers will feed faster or will any tourney's let you shoot faster then 15 let alone any fields. i was convinced that i didnt need an uncapped board like the virtue. but after i bought the board and started playing around with it I realized its also a good board. I mean it has ramp and full auto with 3 round burst and semi. and that Blue LED and Speaker are a real help when u need it. like when a highly lit place and you for some odd reason cant see the blue LED u can still tell when u turned it on and turned off the eyes and whatever.
This board is a must get if you plan on playing alot. even just rec ball. its a good board to have. cus u never know when that extra 3bps could help.
It has 20 bps, lots of modes adjustable dwell, kick in rate, sustain rate...ect
This is by far the best board to buy for the ion, its fully adjustable and you can mix and match settings. after reading the manuel three times i finally understood how to change the settings. but once u understand its vary easy and quick to change. all in all its easy to install if u wish to do so yourself, another thing is that the eyes are so so. there not the best but there better than the stock eyes.
Its one of the best upgrades you can get for the ion, i suggest it as one of the first upgrades for you to come fourth and purchase.
-fbm wave trigger
-fbm no rise feedneck
-full freak kit black back and aa tip(black)
Alot of good modes
This product is definetly a great upgrade product for the Ion.I liked it due to the fact of the speed and its many modes.It also has easy programing, and quick installation.Most definatly a good like second buy. What i mean is you should really get this once you have exceeded the the stock board limits. Otherwise i love it and give it two thumbs way up.
Very fast, easy installation, great upgrade for the ion.
Stock Ion Board. (Doesn't really compare to the Blackheart)
Razor Blue SP Ion w/ Blackheart, CCM Feedneck, Evil Detonator Reg, Evil On/Off,
ND Blade Trigger, TechT Lightening Bolt, 32 Degrees Drop, 12 inch Evil Pipe Kit,
Blue Halo B w/Rip Drive.
Fast, very adjustable, blue led light, it chirps.
Shot like 600 shots and had to change battery.
It would turn itself off.
Well when I first got the board I put in a few settings and then took it out for a test run.
I could shoot 20bps ropes with ease. So I decided to tweak it some more and now I
can shoot 20bps ropes with one finger. At first I couldn't figure out how to input the
settings but after a quick look at the manual I realized that it is really easy to do.
After the first day I was very pleased with the board. So a few days later I went out to
do some snap shooting drills and it worked great for a while but then the low battery
chirp started. That seemed odd because I had only shot like 450-600 shots with it.
I continued with my drills and then the gun turned itself off. I didn't think much about
it but then it started to turn itself off about every 10 shots, then it got worse and turned
off after every shot. I took the board out and messed with it for a second and then it
worked fine but the low battery chirp continued. I changed the battery today and I hope
that the Blackheart doesn't turn out to be a battery hog. If it does turn out to be a battery
hog then I'll just get some rechargeables. I haven't got to use it in a game yet but I will
this weekend and I am looking foward to it. The small problems I had with the board
were probably just with mine. I doubt that all of them would do that. It is a great board
I really like this board. It is easy to program, very adjustable, and very fast. It stopped
turning itself off and is working perfect. If you have an Ion and are looking for a relatively
cheap board then the Blackheart board is a good choice. The chirp is very helpful for
bright days because you don't have to look at the led for turning on and off. If you get this
board you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you have a fast hopper.
2006 ProStock Autococker
CP flame DropFordward
Pmi 88 cu 4500 Compressed Air Tank
Cp PSI Gauge
Freak Barrel System
Low Batter Alert
Problems with my ROF, Dwell, Trigger Swicth, Battery Cords, LED,and coil.
When i got the blackheart from Smart Parts i loved it. After a while i noticed problems with my ROF, Dwell, trigger swicth, battery cords, and coil. The LED failed after a while. The ROF was never going at the setting. Th Dwell would never work i would have to trun it up near 60 when is was suppose to be at 52. The trigger swtich would get stuck and no fire right. The battery cord get stripped from the board and the coil would no hold current.
If u buy this keep ur paper work. If u have not got the updated black heart go out and get it.
-Easy to program
-Comes w/ eyes
-Capped at 20bps
-Open grip to change modes
I bought an APE board on ebay, i hated it. It came with a keypad which was nice, but it started peeling off after 3 days. It was impossible to program. So i sold it on ebay and bought a BH board. The blackheart installs easy and also comes with eyes. The eyes are difficult to fit in, but they'll go in. The speaker system is really helpful, too. it only has 4 modes but they are changeable so there's really 100s of modes. I love my BH.
I would diffinitly recommend the BH board for the ion. It is awesome, i love it.
NDZ Composite Trigger
Evil Detonator Regulator
14" Pepper Stick
Not Really A Weakness, But Multi Color LED's Woulda Been Cool.
At first, I got a defective board, which made me wonder if the blackheart would really be as good as it says... I was WRONG!!!
This board rips ass!!! It's so fast, so consistent, the eyes work great, it's real good on the batteries, simple to use/program, it's got that chirp I love. =] This board has to be my favorite out of any of the other boards out for the Ion.
Get This Board!!! Actionvillage.com ($99 + Free Shipping) It Is A MUST!!!!